Friday 9 October 2009

Major Progress!

Since my last post the chicken numbers have increased by a few! My laying hens went up to 12 after I bought 3 bluebells and 3 white stars. I then had to buy a bigger house. I git a 24 bird house from bruckley sawmill an I also got electric poultry netting to make them a nice safe area to free range in. Bunty one of my first hens became ill and sadly died.
I then bought 7 week old chicks and a 2 week old duckling! I only kep 3 of the chicks - Dennis, Daisy & Doris. The lonely duckling needed a friend, craighill poultry came to the rescue and I got a 3 day old duckling, they hated each other at first but then became inseperable.
After buying an incubator and doing 3 hatches I now have 35 chickens of various ages. I also bought some more ducks to keep Lenny & Lucy (the 2 ducklings I bought) company.
Looking after all of these has kept me very busy over the summer, it's had it's ups and downs but I still enjoy collecting the eggs every day! So much so I applied for an egg producer number and after the visit from the egg marketing inspector yesterday, I now have an egg producer number. This will make sure no eggs go to waste as it opens up who I can sell the eggs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment